This is the formula for our standard, daily juice. It has enough sweet veggies and fruit to taste great, but also contains green leafies so you can benefit from their nutrition without having to chew all day long. This recipe makes 16 – 20 oz (enough for 2 people or to save some for later). Remember that the body can only absorb the nutrients from about 8 oz of fresh juice at a time, so don’t go crazy. Wait an hour before consuming more for optimum absorption.
- 2 apples (really any type will do) (peels on, seeded)
- 2-3 carrots (peels on)
- 1/4 – 1/2 inch of fresh ginger root (depending on your taste for ginger) (no need to peel)
- 1/2 – 1 beet (some beets can be quite big, so this is on average) (peel on)
3-6 leaves or mixture of the following:
Goitrogens (good for a hyperthyroid and in moderation for regular folks)
- Collard greens
Lettuces (good for a hypothyroid and for regular folks)
- Any lettuce (even the stuff that you wouldn’t make into a salad, but don’t want to waste)
- Basil or mint (technically herbs, but still green)
Save scraps from a variety of fruits and veggies when cooking or making salads and add 1/2 – 3/4 C to each batch
- Pears (good for a hyperthyroid) (seeded)
- Peaches (good for a hyperthyroid), apricots, plums or other stone fruit (pitted)
- Berries – raspberries, blueberries, strawberries (with greens) are great!
- Cauliflower (good for a hyperthyroid)
- Kohlrabi (good for a hyperthyroid)
Make sure all the dirt is washed off so you don’t end up with a gritty drink. Combine all ingredients in your juicer and enjoy! Extra juice can be saved for about 8 hours. After that time it starts to lose nutrition and flavor. Use the pulp for your compost pile – it’s already ground up nicely!